Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan

Saturday 30 May 2020


Release date: March 22nd, 2018
Series: Hoops #1
Pages: 460
Genre: romance


Think you know what it's like being a baller's girl?
You don't.
My fairy tale is upside down.
A happily never after.
I kissed the prince and he turned into a fraud.
I was a fool, and his love - fool's gold.

Now there's a new player in the game, August West.
One of the NBA's brightest stars.
Fine. Forbidden.
He wants me. I want him.
But my past, my fraudulent prince, just won't let me go.

*Some aspects of this story may be sensitive for some readers.


*

This was an extremely hard read and I had trouble reading the first 50 %. I always struggle with books that have physical abuse in them and this one was especially hard because there was a forbidden love, a love that it seemed impossible to happen.

August and Iris meet at a bar one night and, right away, the sparks start flying around them. I actually thought their first meeting was a little bit weird and didn't really do it for me because there was nothing really spectacular, but I didn't know how the story would go on later on.

Iris is an ambitious woman that has goals and plans in her life that get completely shattered when she learns she's pregnant with her boyfriend of a few years, Caleb. Caleb had this sweet persona that was actually really ugly if you looked deeper. He was pretentious and just pure devil, but Iris didn't see it because he wasn't like that with her - at the beginning, at least.

When Iris gets pregnant, her life turns for the worse. She couldn't wrap her head around how that could be possible if they always used protection. She sees August here and there, but their encounters are short and brief.

After the birth of their daughter, Caleb changes towards Iris. He becomes openly violent that progresses and Iris can't escape the prison Caleb put her in. This is where it got really hard for me because the scenes were very graphic and the description went into a lot of details. I wished there was at least some sort of a warning at the beginning of this book to prepare me for it.

August is a dream man. Honestly. He's the kindest, the nicest, charming as hell and knows how to treat a woman right. He's been head over heels in love with Iris ever since he met her at the bar that one night, but he understood she's with another man and even has a baby with him, so he could only love her from a distance.

After Caleb, Iris is left to deal with a lot of trauma. She has to heal in order to trust in men again and it takes time. August is very patient with her and they take things slow and when she sees he's nothing like Caleb, she opens up to him.

If you were mine, Iris there would be no doubt what position you’d hold in my life. You’d be center. I’d play you at the five.

This book was a lot to take in. It's incredible in a way that shows what women go through, even with famous, rich and public people. We never know what's going on behind closed doors. It also shows that it's not always easy to leave, sometimes it's even impossible. And it also shows that there's still hope afterwards, that there are good people that can treat us like we deserve.

This was a beautiful, heartbreaking story. Although it was really hard to read at some parts, I'm happy that I got through it because it's bringing awareness to what could be going on around us and we had no idea.

NEWSLETTER:
bit.ly/KRList

BOOKBUB: bookbub.com/authors/kennedy-ryan

AMAZON:
http://amzn.to/2EX7pgg

FACEBOOK:
www.facebook.com/KennedyRyanAuthor/

INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/kennedyryan1/


KENNEDY RYAN BOOKS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/68160...


I write contemporary romance and women's fiction. I always give my characters their happily ever after, but I love to make them work for it! It's a long road to love, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

I am wife to the love of my life, mom to a special, beautiful son, and a friend to those living with autism through my charitable foundation.



Post a Comment