Dirty Headlines by L. J. Shen

Thursday 22 October 2020

 


Release date: September 7th, 2018
Series: / standalone
Pages: 328
Genre: Romance

Célian Laurent.
Manhattan royalty.
Notorious playboy.
Heir to a media empire.
...And my new boss.

I could have impressed him, if not for last month's unforgettable one-night stand.
I left it with more than orgasms and a pleasant memory--namely, his wallet.
Now he's staring me down like I'm the dirt under his Italian loafers, and I'm supposed to take it.
But the thing about being Judith "Jude" Humphry is I have nothing to lose.
Brooklyn girl.
Infamously quirky.
Heir to a stack of medical bills and a tattered couch.
When he looks at me from across the room, I see the glint in his eyes, and that makes us rivals.
He knows it.
So do I.
Every day in the newsroom is a battle.
Every night in his bed, war.
But it's my heart at stake, and I fear I'll be raising the white flag.
style="text-align: left;">



*
*
❝Sometimes he ran cold. Many times he burned out.❞
I realised that I like L. J. Shen's "normal" books the best (with no asshole main characters that are too mean to be sexy and with no weird things getting shoved into vaginas). 

This is the classical poor girl meets a rich guy. Jude and Célian's story begins when they have a one night stand and she steals his wallet and he steals her music player.

And then things get complicated when Jude gets a new job and Célian just happens to be her boss. They both make a deal to act professional around each other and everyone else, but it's clear that they can't stay away from and that things are still not completely done between them as they'd like to think.

They start a romance that's sweet, yet burning hot. 

Célian is a confident man. He's confident in everything he does because he's just good at everything. His work ethic is admirable and he works hard, but so is his loyalty. He comes from a broken family, mostly a messed up father that wants to stab him in the back at every chance he gets.

Jude is witty and smart. I loved the thing about her wearing a different colour of chucks every day (depending on her mood because every colour represented a different mood). She's selfless and caring. With her father being sick, she'd do anything to help him. She was one of the sweetest characters.

All in all, this book was different than other Shen's book. There was drama, but the book wasn't as heavy and deep. It was a light and easy read, something sweet to escape the world for a few hours. 

Célian isn't that big of an asshole as her other characters in other books, which draw me to him the most. So far, this might be the most normal book from her. Still original, still a little bit of douchiness and a lot of witness, yet enough to win you over.





Post a Comment