The Setup by Meghan Quinn

Tuesday 20 October 2020

 


Release date: September 10th, 2020
Series: / standalone
Pages: 408
Genre: Romance


I’ve fallen victim to a heinous act.

An act so vile, so downright dirty, that I’m not sure as a twenty-year-old man I'll ever recover. Brace yourself, because what I’m about to tell you might have you gasping in secondhand horror.
Ready? Here it goes . . .

I’ve recently become the pawn of a meddling mom.

Yes . . . A MEDDLING MOM--who's been trying to set me up all summer.

Now, I understand it’s not a crime for a mother to want her child to fall in love, but when she makes it her relentless MISSION, the heinous act should be classified as a misdemeanor at least.

Of course, my mom, the evil matriarch in the devil’s leggings, made her final stab at finding a girl for me days before I went back to college.

And I hate to admit it, but she saved a doozy for last.

A titan in black skinny jeans.

A boss of nonchalance.

And a girl who would not only turn my life upside down, but do it while juggling a soccer ball, looking effortlessly gorgeous around campus, and is one hundred percent against relationships. Of any sort.

Thanks, Mom.


*
Once again, the ending ruined the book for me. It's not the first time that happened with this author, either. I was going to give this book 3 stars or 3.5, but the last 20 % was so awful that it just made me irritated and mad because why the hell?!

The reason this book wasn't really working for me was because Indie irritated the hell out of me. She was annoying and she basically ruined the story for me.

The other reason was, this whole thing is starting to become repetitive. Especially the ending - which I didn't like once again - it's basically the same as the book The Locker Room.

The one character I liked was Lincoln. He was sweet and charismatic and he deserved way better than Indie.

In short, this story is about two college people that their mums basically set up for a date. Both of them have been set up on numerous of dates during the summer by their mothers (which was the first weird and unrealistic thing because who even does that anymore? Especially when they're so young).

Anyway, Lincoln and Indie become friends, even though Lincoln wants more than that but he's obviously not going to tell that to Indie and she's too clueless to figure that out. She's adamant on the no dating rule, yet she still accepts the invitation of her friend's brother to take her out.

There's a lot of tension between Lincoln and Indie and they decide to become friends with benefits to get rid of that tension between them. They continue insisting on being just friends for months, never really deciding that they're in a relationship (even though it's obvious that they are).

I kind of understood where Indie was coming from with all the parents' stuff she was experiencing, but she was just so stubborn and indecisive, it bothered me a lot.

And then, the two of them part their ways, but still stay in contact as first, yet they're still only friends. From then on, it just goes downhill even faster and that made me give it 2.5 stars at the end. I'm really not impressed.



When I was in high school I occasionally read books but was consumed by other teenage things so I didn't take the time to appreciate a good book on a cloudy day, wrapped up in a blanket on the couch. It wasn't until I received a Kindle for Christmas one year that my world completely flipped upside down. When looking for books I came across the Contemporary Romance genre and was sold and I haven't turned back since.

You can either find my head buried in my Kindle, listening to inspiring heart ripping music or typing away on the computer twisting and turning the lives of my characters while driving my readers crazy with anticipation.

​I currently reside in beautiful Colorado Springs where the sun is always shining and there is a trail waiting to be hiked on every corner. I share a lovely and warm home with the love of my life and my five, four-legged children.
 







Post a Comment