Grip by Kennedy Ryan

Monday 8 March 2021


Release date: March 2nd, 2017
Series: Grip #1
Pages: 384
Genre: Romance


Resisting an irresistible force wears you down and turns you out. I know. I've been doing it for years.

I may not have a musical gift of my own, but I've got a nose for talent and an eye for the extraordinary. And Marlon James - Grip to his fans - is nothing short of extraordinary.

Years ago, we strung together a few magical nights, but I keep those memories in a locked drawer and I've thrown away the key. All that's left is friendship and work.

He's on the verge of unimaginable fame, all his dreams poised to come true. I manage his career, but I can't seem to manage my heart.

It's wild, reckless, disobedient. And it remembers all the things I want to forget.


*
First things first, before reading Grip, it is required you read Flow first. I didn't really enjoy Flow that much, it was ok, just nothing special. Grip was slightly better for me, yet it was still hard for me to rate it and I'll explain why.

Normally, I wouldn't like a story like this because it's not to my liking - the main characters were both childish, I hated the whole 'sleeping with other people just to prove a point' and I despised Bristol and her stupid and unjustified reasons for resisting Grip. 

He was all over her and she wanted so bad to play dumb and hard to get, it was a big turn off. Grip was sleeping around just to spite her and while Bristol was all for him to move on from her, that flies through the window the moment Grip gets a chance to be with someone for real and Bristol hates it so much, she gets completely drunk with her ex and ... things happen is all I'm going to say. 

Bristol kept saying how she's been in love with him for years, yet she still didn't want to be with him because she was scared. But she also didn't want to see him with anyone else, either.

Bristol was a hypocrite. There, I said it.

But! This book shows a good example of racism and police brutality and it even shows how white people and black people experience different things differently. Bristol was naive about that and Grip patiently explained and even showed her how it's like to be a black person living in a white world.

It was also highlighted, often, how smart was Bristol supposed to be, but I really couldn't see it. If anything, she was acting really dumb a lot of the time. 

So, yes, I give this book four stars because Grip has my heart and I absolutely loved him, Bristol, however ... is another story and I wanted to like her, but she irked me way too much. 

Still, a great story to read, although slow because the couple only really gets together at around 60 %, but it's worth to wait for it. I promise.


I write contemporary romance and women's fiction. I always give my characters their happily ever after, but I love to make them work for it! It's a long road to love, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

I am wife to the love of my life, mom to a special, beautiful son, and a friend to those living with autism through my charitable foundation.
 






Post a Comment