Sparrow by L. J. Shen

Sunday 11 October 2020



Release date: March 8th, 2016
Series: / standalone
Pages: 312
Genre: Romance

Troy Brennan

Every southie in Boston knows that name. The son of a dead mobster. The heart throb with steel blue eyes. "The Fixer" who can make or break you in this city.

Oh, and my new husband.

Sparrow Raynes

That's me. No one seemed to remember my name up until he barged into my life.
But then he caged me.
Kidnapped me.
And killed every chance I had to runaway from the place where we grew up.
Put simply, Troy Brennan clipped my wings.

I have dreams, big ones, but I doubt he'd ever let me chase them. I have no idea why he'd decided to take me as his wife. But I do know this: pissing off this man will not do me any good. At all.


*
This is one of the books that put me in quite a dilemma after reading it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I realise this is the most cases with Shen's books. I love the writing. There's no denying that she can write. But the plots are usually questionable.

I couldn't get into the plot and Troy. Sparrow was a weird character for me, too, for some reason. And, honestly, I found it quite boring and unrealistic in some parts.

We have Sparrow here, a quiet girl that no one noticed - ever. She's still (surprise, surprise!) a virgin when she's forced into a marriage with Troy.

Now, Troy ... Everyone knows Troy because they've either slept with him or they've come across him because they're on his shit list. There's no in-between. 

Sparrow is timid at first when she moves in to live with him. She's scared and she tries to avoid her husband because she's scared about him trying to sleep with her or hurt her if she doesn't.

The first night of their marriage was ... just super weird and didn't make any sense to me because Sparrow was supposed to be scared of him and also not attracted to him at all, but they had a pretty scorching moment going on.

And then ... nothing. Except for their bickering and Sparrow weirdly taunting him on. One more thing that didn't really make sense to me was that Sparrow wanted to become a cook at one of Troy's prestigious restaurants and then she goes and makes pancakes for breakfast to dazzle her husband a little bit. Now, I don't know about you, but I can make some mean pancakes and I'm not a great cook.

But then we have our little Sparrow showing off her skills in his restaurant, making the most difficult thing on their menu that takes three hours to make and she does it perfectly. On her first time. Just days after she showed off her skills by making pancakes. That part was so unrealistically funny that just made me cringe.

But I liked their witty conversations, as always, and I also liked the original humour. However, I wasn't really feeling their romance their much because they were always speaking to each other with disdain or sarcasm and then, all of a sudden, things changed and they started being intimate out of nothing. 

I don't know. I just didn't like Troy that much and I didn't like Sparrow because she was a little too naïve for my taste and I'm only giving this book three stars because the writing was really good.


 

Post a Comment