Hands Down by Mariana Zapata

Sunday 12 July 2020


Release date: July 2nd, 2020
Series: / standalone
Pages: 529
Genre: Romance


Before he was Big Texas, he was Zac the Snack Pack.

Bianca Brannen knows time—mostly—heals all wounds. Including those your once loved ones might have unintentionally given you. (Those just take longer.)

She thinks she’s ready when a call has her walking back into her old friend’s life. Or at least as prepared as possible to see the starting quarterback in the National Football Organization. Before the lights, the fans, and the millions, he’d been a skinny kid with a heart of gold.

Waltzing out of Zac Travis’s life should be easy. Just as easy as he walked out of hers.

*
Well ... This is going to be painful. One thing that's for sure is that I absolutely love Mariana Zapata and I usually eat everything she writes because she's just that good. Hands down (see what I did there), she's one of my favourite authors.

But this book ... I wasn't feeling this one. When reading Zapata's books, you have to know beforehand that her books are slow-burn and it takes time to get to the real deal. 

With this book, I just felt at some point, that things were dragging on and on. At 50 %, I still wasn't feeling the chemistry between Zac and Bianca and their romantic relationship was non-existent, except for occasional jealous glares from Zac, but that's about it. I started to get bored with this book because nothing was really happening for a long time. And this book has 529 pages so you can imagine how painful it was.

But after 50 %, things started looking up and it got really interesting. I still couldn't feel the chemistry between the characters and I just wanted a little more and even expected more, but Zac's character, at first, felt like reading Kulti all over again. I changed my opinion afterwards, but still.

And then, I could survive all of Zac's "darlin'"s, but I couldn't get past him calling Bianca "kiddo" all the time. Even during sex at the end. Yuuuuup, weird. Super, super weird. 

There were a few things in the book that were just unnecessary (the farting scene, for one, because what the hell was that?) and then, at the end, Zac's "I don't think I have any cum left in me" sentence after they did the deeds ... Minor things that are survivable, though. I could get past that. 

There's that. But Bianca and Zac's friendship was a fun thing to read about. The book was actually delightful and funny. It's not the best one I've read from this author, but it's okay - somewhere in the middle.

Post a Comment